Saturday, October 17, 2015

Verifiable Neuropathy Symptom

Quick update: #goodnews! Thanks to a very observant medical student in the ER this morning, I finally have the doctors takig my small fiber neuropathy serieously. This student discovered I have a rare, easily-observed symptom, and one that NO ONE can fake! Even though my main complaint of my nerve damage in a stocking-and-glove pattern, we've long known the nerve damage is throughout my body. One effect is I have vision problems that cannnot be corrected with glasses or surgery. What we didn't know is that you can sometimes see my pupils flutter rapidly when you shine a light in them. It's a symptom that is impossible to fake, cannot be induced with drugs, and is a clear sign of nerve damage. As a result, not only did I get pain relief in the ER, they also put me on a fast-track referral! (I'll have an appointment this Monday or Tuesday.) Merciful heavens, they also gave me medication to be out of pain until then.

Thank you everyone for your prayers and well-wishes! They were answered!!

No comments:

Post a Comment